The Rockets may be looking to shake up their roster.
Houston is “primarily focused on acquiring wing talent,” according to a report from The Athletic, which cites unidentified league sources. The team is “not in emergency mode, but not sitting back either,” the report says.
The Rockets finished last season with a 65-17 record and advanced to the Western Conference Finals, where they fell to the Warriors in seven games. But, they’ve yet to replicate that success on either end of the floor in 2018-19. They’ve lost their last three games and hold a 9-10 record.
The Rockets lost forwards Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute to free agency in the offseason and brought in former star Carmelo Anthony to replace them. Houston, however, parted ways with the 10-time All-Star after just 10 games.
The Rockets have received minimal offense from their second unit so far this season. They rank last in the NBA in bench points (25.8 per game) and 3-point field goal percentage (26.8 percent).
“Our bench has to produce a little bit more,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said last week (via the Houston Chronicle). “We got to get something out of it. We’re not getting a lot of production there. It puts a lot of extra strain on the guys doing it, playing a lot of minutes with our starters.”
Houston signed forward Danuel House from the G-League on Monday and was forced to play him 28 minutes in its overtime loss to the Wizards that night.
The Rockets will return to the court and face the Mavericks on Wednesday.