Super Bowl 53: Americans will bet an estimated $6B on Patriots-Rams matchup, survey shows

Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady vs. Jared Goff

Americans are putting their money where their mouths are when it comes to the Super Bowl.

An estimated $6 billion will be wagered on Super Bowl 53 — both legally and illegally — according to a survey by the American Gaming Association.

The survey shows that about 10 percent of Americans will bet in one way or another on the game, with 22.7 million American adults planning to bet.

Even though eight states have legalized sports betting now, an estimated 1.8 million Americans plan to bet illegally through a bookie, with millions more likely to bet illegally online.

“The interest in legal, regulated sports betting in the United States has never been higher,” AGA president and CEO Bill Miller said. “More Americans than ever before will be able to place their bets with legal sportsbooks now operating in eight states, generating valuable revenue for state, local and tribal governments and increasing fan engagement with the game.

“These results, however, also point to the continued viability of the dangerous, illegal sports betting market in America. It is more important than ever for jurisdictions to enact sound policies that provide a safe, legal alternative with protections for the nearly 23 million Americans who will place a bet on the big game.”

Per the survey, 52 percent of those betting will put money on the Rams, while the other 48 percent will gamble on the Patriots. As of Monday, the consensus among Las Vegas sportsbooks had the Patriots favored by 2.5 points and the over/under at 56.5 (per

Super Bowl 53 is Sunday in Atlanta with the game set to start at 6:30 p.m. ET.