Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman, the reigning Norris Trophy winner, has been named as a finalist for the third straight year, the NHL announced Sunday.
Joining Hedman as finalists are Brent Burns of the San Jose Sharks and Mark Giordano of the Calgary Flames.
The finalists for the Norris Trophy are in.
Find out who wins at the 2019 #NHLAwards presented by @Bridgestone! pic.twitter.com/b8KmmrSA16
— NHL (@NHL) April 21, 2019
The James Norris Memorial Trophy, first awarded in 1954, is given annually to the defenseman voted to have demonstrated the greatest all-around ability at the position throughout the season.
Hedman once again lived up to those qualifications. The 28-year-old veteran led Tampa Bay defensemen in several categories, including goals (12), assists (42), points (54) and game-winning goals (four). He scored at least 10 goals for a sixth straight season and had an NHL career-high seven-game point streak (two goals, eight assists) in March. The Lightning defense led the NHL with a plus-98 goal differential.
Burns, 34, led all NHL defenseman in assists (67), points (83), game-winning goals (six) and shots on goal (300). He became the first defenseman in Sharks history to have at least 60 assists in a season and the second player at any position to hit the mark, joining forward Joe Thornton, who has done it seven times.
The 35-year-old Giordano finished second among defensemen in scoring with 74 points (17 goals, 57 assists), his NHL career high, and led all players with a plus-39 rating. The Flames captain helped the team finish first in the Western Conference (50-25-7) and second in the NHL with a plus-66 goal differential. He is seeking to become only the fourth player 35 or older to win the Norris Trophy.
The NHL will continue rolling out all of its award finalists every day over the next week, culminating with the Hart Trophy nominees on April 28. The winners will be announced June 19.
Here is the schedule for all of the announcements, along with previously announced nominees.
NHL awards finalists announcement dates and nominees
- April 17: Selke Trophy (Patrice Bergeron, Ryan O’Reilly, Mark Stone)
- April 18: Lady Byng Trophy (Ryan O’Reilly, Aleksander Barkov, Sean Monahan)
- April 19: Masterson Trophy (Nick Foligno, Robin Lehner, Joe Thornton)
- April 20: Vezina Trophy (Ben Bishop, Andrei Vailevskiy, Robin Lehner)
- April 21: Norris Trophy (Brent Burns, Mark Giordano, Victor Hedman)
- April 22: Mark Messier Leadership Award
- April 23: King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Humanitarian Award)
- April 24: Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award
- April 25: Ted Lindsay Award (Most Outstanding Player as voted by the players)
- April 26: Jack Adams Award (Top head coach)
- April 27: Calder Trophy (Top rookie)
- April 28: Hart Trophy (Most Valuable player to his team)