A Houston court dropped an assault charge Wednesday against Patriots defensive lineman Michael Bennett, according to multiple reports.
In March 2018, Bennett was indicted by a grand jury and pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of injury to the elderly, stemming from a 2017 incident at Super Bowl 51 in Houston’s NRG Stadium.
According to the original arrest report, Bennett allegedly shoved a 66-year-old paraplegic security guard after the game, as he tried to go onto the field to celebrate with his brother, former Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett.
“After looking at all the evidence and applying the law, a crime could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” Harris County (Texas) district attorney’s office chief of staff Vivian King said in a statement to media outlets. “There was probable cause to warrant a charge initially, but after a careful review of all the pre-charge and post-charge evidence, we cannot prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Bennett’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, told USA Today he and Bennett are “delighted with the outcome. … I want to thank the district attorney’s office and the police for having the courage to do the right thing in the end.”
The woman filed a lawsuit against Bennett earlier this year, seeking between $200,000 and $1 million in damages. That case is pending.
The 33-year-old Bennett, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, was acquired by the Patriots via trade from the Eagles in March.