Corey Ballentine is back in action.
The Giants’ rookie cornerback was present at OTAs and participated in team drills Tuesday for the first time since being shot in April.
Ballentine progressed to 11-on-11 drills Tuesday after ramping up individual drills during OTAs last week.
Rookie CB Corey Ballentine working with his Giants teammates. Healing from gunshot wound. pic.twitter.com/wo4V4ssMlm
— Paul Schwartz (@NYPost_Schwartz) May 28, 2019
“He’s doing what he can do,” Giants coach Pat Shurmur said, via NorthJersey.com. “He looked good moving around and he’s getting better each day.”
Ballentine, selected 180th overall in the sixth round of last month’s draft, was struck in the backside in the shooting that took place near the Washburn University campus shortly after he was picked. His former Washburn University teammate Dwane Simmons was killed during the incident.
Ballentine was taken to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
“I’m really disappointed,” Shurmur said days after the shooting. “He was a victim of a crime. He’s a great young man. We got to know him really well through the draft process. My son (quarterback Kyle Shurmur) trained with him. So I have some intimate knowledge of what a great young man he is. It’s very unfortunate.
“He was a victim of a crime, just like that could happen to any of us. So we’re here for him. Certainly, he’s going through the vigils and the funeral and the things that he has to go through. And we’re here to support him as he comes back to us. Thoughts and prayers go his way.”
Ballentine, 23, totaled 186 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and five interceptions during his college career.