Philip Rivers will be taken care of.
While speaking to reporters Tuesday, Chargers owner Dean Spanos wouldn’t speculate when the team would re-sign its franchise quarterback but guaranteed the two sides will eventually agree to a new contract.
“It’s gonna happen, it will happen,” Spanos said, via the Orange County Register. “We have an understanding, as long (Rivers) wants to be here, we want him here. We love Philip Rivers, you can’t say enough great things about him. I don’t think the contract issue is a big thing for us or for him.”
Chargers owner Dean Spanos on working out a new deal with Philip Rivers: “As long as he wants to be here, we want him here” pic.twitter.com/ZufvJtuXmZ
— Gilbert Manzano (@GManzano24) May 21, 2019
Rivers, who is in the final season of his four-year deal worth $83.25 million, had previously stressed that he’s in no rush to get his contract extension, adding that he would like to play through the 2020 season when the Chargers are set to move to their new stadium.
“I’m just fine right where we are, you know,” Rivers said earlier this month, via the Los Angeles Times. “I got this year left and (I’m) under no immediate stress or urgency to get anything done. If it means playing it out, that will be just fine. It really will. We got a good group here and a good thing going. At this point, just focus on one year at a time and take it from there.
“I’m certainly thankful for that, if that opportunity comes. I really have no goal or see it playing a certain way. I really don’t. I’m very at peace with where it is right now.”
Rivers, 37, is entering his 16th season in the NFL and 14th as the team’s starter after being drafted fourth overall by the Giants in 2004 (he was subsequently traded to the Chargers for Eli Manning).
He finished last season with 4,308 yards passing and 32 touchdowns, throwing for more than 4,000 yards in the regular season for the sixth straight year as he led the Chargers to the divisional round of the playoffs and earned his eighth Pro Bowl selection.