To no one’s surprise, Melvin Gordon will be a training camp no-show Wednesday, according to multiple reports that cited unidentified sources.
According to NFL Media, Gordon’s holdout “should be lengthy, as talks are expected to halt” and the team “will focus on the backs who are there” in camp. Gordon will be subject to fines as he follows through on his plans to hold out in hope of landing a new contract.
Scheduled to be paid $5.6 million in 2019, Gordon was at mandatory minicamp last month after sitting out voluntary workouts earlier this offseason. However, he informed the team that he won’t attend camp without a new deal and will demand a trade if he doesn’t get one.
If Gordon’s holdout carries into the regular season, he would need to return by Week 10 in order to get credit for the final year of his four-year, $10,67 million contract. The Chargers could then use the franchise tag and try to trade him in the offseason.
Gordon has insisted he has the support of his teammates, who he says he told last week that he would be holding out, as well as top players around the league.
“They’re all behind me. They all got my back,” Gordon told ESPN. “They all told me, ‘You know what — we don’t really speak on contracts — but you just go and do what’s best for your family.’ And I’m glad I got that support from them.”
He added: “A lot of running backs have reached out to me just saying go out and get what you deserve.”
Gordon, 26, had 1,375 combined rushing and receiving yards and a career-high 14 touchdowns last season, despite missing four games. The two-time Pro Bowl selection has had three consecutive seasons of more than 1,300 total yards and 12 touchdowns.