There are a number of players after new contracts this year, but Philip Rivers isn’t one of them.
Speaking Saturday on SiriusXM NFL Radio, the Chargers quarterback insisted he’s content playing out the final year of his current deal.
“I feel fine playing this thing out,” Rivers said, per Pro Football Talk. “The expectation and hope is to be here again next year, but it doesn’t need to be done right now. If it were to some time soon, great. If not, let’s play it out and worry about it in the winter.”
Chargers owner Dean Spanos wouldn’t speculate when the team would re-sign Rivers but guaranteed in May the two sides will eventually agree to a new contract.
“It’s gonna happen, it will happen,” Spanos said at the time, via the Orange County Register. “We have an understanding, as long (Rivers) wants to be here, we want him here. We love Philip Rivers, you can’t say enough great things about him. I don’t think the contract issue is a big thing for us or for him.”
Rivers, who is in the final season of his four-year deal worth $83.25 million, had previously stressed that he’s in no rush to get his contract extension and would like to play through the 2020 season when the Chargers are set to move to their new stadium.
His teammate, running back Melvin Gordon, on the other hand, remains absent from training camp amid his contract holdout. Still, Rivers is hopeful the two sides will reach an agreement soon so Gordon can get back to work.
“If it does, awesome,” Rivers said. “You want our team to have the best chance to win. Hopefully we see Melvin soon. I think Melvin adds a great deal to our team.”
The Chargers selected Gordon out of Wisconsin with the No. 15 pick in the 2015 draft. He has rushed for 3,628 yards and scored 38 total touchdowns during his four-year career.