The Cowboys are working to end Ezekiel Elliott’s holdout.
Dallas has offered the 24-year-old running back a new contract, according to the NFL Network, which cited unidentified sources. The report adds Elliott and his team haven’t made a counter offer.
— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) July 27, 2019
Elliott, who has spent his entire career with the Cowboys after being selected fourth overall in the 2016 draft, officially became a holdout Friday when he did not report for the opening of Cowboys’ training camp in Oxnard, California.
He has two years remaining on his rookie contract, and reportedly is seeking a record-setting deal that would exceed Todd Gurley’s four-year, $57.5 million deal with the Rams.
The Cowboys said during the offseason that they are hopeful to reach a new deal and keep Elliott long-term, however, Dallas’ executives also have reiterated that it’ll take time to reach an agreement.
Cowboys executive vice president and CEO Stephen Jones and coach Jason Garrett fielded questions Friday about their running back’s absence, insisting Dallas is focused on the players that showed up to training camp.
“We are focused on the guys who are here … we’re not going to focus on the business of football,” Garrett said.
Jones added: “It’s going to do no good to address this situation every day, but we will be working on [a contract] behind the scenes.”
Elliott is set to earn a base salary of $3.9 million for 2019, and the team last month picked up the fifth-year option of his rookie contract that will pay him $9.1 million for 2020.
He earned his second rushing title in three years with 1,434 yards on a league-high 304 carries with six touchdowns last season, while adding 77 receptions for 567 yards with three touchdowns.