Melvin Gordon isn’t giving up yet.
While speaking Saturday at SportsCon 2019 in Dallas, the Chargers running back made it clear that while he wants a new deal, he also wants to stay in Los Angeles.
“I want to end up with the Chargers,” Gordon said. “I mean, that’s my home. I’m not going to sit here and be like, I don’t want to go back to the Chargers. That’s the team who blessed me with an opportunity. They changed my life. Out of all 32 teams, that was the team that called. I can’t forget them for that.
“But like I said, it’s an opportunity right now where I know I need to take advantage of it. I want to get paid. And that’s just kind of what it is. Hopefully I end up a Charger, that’s the goal. I want to end as a Charger.”
— Bobby Belt (@BobbyBeltTX) July 13, 2019
Gordon, who is scheduled to earn $5.6 million in 2019, was at mandatory minicamp last month after sitting out voluntary workouts earlier this offseason. However, he recently informed the team that he will not report to training camp without a new contract and will demand a trade if he doesn’t get one.
Gordon, 26, had 1,375 yards and a career-high 14 touchdowns last season, despite missing four games. The two-time Pro Bowl selection has had three consecutive seasons of at least 1,200 scrimmage yards and 10 total touchdowns.
The Chargers are scheduled to open training camp July 24.