It doesn’t appear Chargers running back Melvin Gordon will report to training camp anytime soon as the two sides are struggling to agree on a new contract.
Gordon has made it known that he’s willing to do whatever it takes to reach an extension with Los Angeles, including holding out into the regular season. But according to ESPN, which cited unidentified sources, the Chargers “are not willing to move off a certain number” in negotiations with their running back.
Source on Melvin Gordon and #Chargers extension talks: “They are not willing to move off a certain number.”
— ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) July 26, 2019
Gordon, 26, was placed on the reserve/did not report list Wednesday after he did not arrive at training camp. ESPN reported Friday that the two sides had recently exchanged proposals, but “there is mounting pessimism” that Gordon’s holdout will go into the regular season.
ESPN also notes Gordon, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract, wants a new deal that will put him “among the highest-paid running backs in the league.” He already has told the Chargers that he will sit out with the potential of demanding a trade if he doesn’t doesn’t receive a satisfactory deal.
Chargers general manager Tom Telesco addressed Gordon’s holdout earlier this week, saying he understands where Gordon is coming from as a player.
“I love Melvin Gordon,” Telesco said. “He’s an excellent player. He’s tough. He has a great work ethic and represents our organization extremely well. But he’s not here. I understand his thoughts and opinions of what he’s going through. I always look at the player’s side, so I can see it. It doesn’t mean I agree with it, but I can kind of see what his thought process is.”
Gordon could face up to $40,000 in fines for each day of training camp he misses as part of the league’s collective bargaining agreement because he still is under contract , ESPN notes.