The Redskins are planning to sign offensive tackle Donald Penn to a one-year deal as Trent Williams’ contract holdout continues, NFL Network reported Tuesday.
Veteran offensive tackle Donald Penn is flying to Washington DC today to sign a 1-year deal with the #Redskins tomorrow, sources say. Key veteran help given Trent Williams’ likely lengthy holdout.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 30, 2019
Penn and the Raiders agreed to part ways in March after he spent five seasons with Oakland. He was placed on injured reserve for all but four games last season, and the team had signed left tackle Trent Brown to a four-year contract worth up to $66 million. After his release, Penn stated: “I’ve got a lot of football LEFT!”
Penn’s involvement with the Redskins will depend on Williams’ next move. Williams, who has two more years remaining on his five-year, $68 million contract, hasn’t yet reported to camp and there’s been speculation that his relationship with the team is fractured.
Redskins senior vice president of communications Tony Wyllie, however, disputed those rumors earlier this week.
“That report is 100 percent false,” he said.
Official statement from Redskins VP of Communications Tony Wyllie on latest Trent Williams report “100 percent false.”
— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) July 28, 2019
Redskins coach Jay Gruden addressed Williams’ absence last week, reiterating his focus is on the players that are at training camp.
“We know how we feel about Trent, how important he is to this team,” Gruden said (via ESPN). “We expect him here shortly. Right now, there are some things he has to work out individually, personally, with his agent … whatever that may be. Love Trent, love what he’s done for this franchise and this team.
If Williams’ holdout continues into the regular season, Penn, a three-time Pro Bowl player, is expected to add depth and veteran experience to help fill the void.