DeMaryius Thomas reveals Patriots were only team interested in him this offseason

DeMaryius Thomas reveals Patriots were only team interested in him this offseason

DeMaryius Thomas didn’t have many options.

The 31-year-old wide receiver revealed earlier this week the Patriots were the only team interested in signing him this offseason. Thomas went on to ink a one-year deal with the team in April.

“I think it’s a challenge of me just going out and continuing to do what I’ve been doing my whole career,” Thomas told reporters, via WEEI. “It’s a tougher challenge because here, they expect more and it’s a little different than where I’ve been, but I’ll be all right.”

Thomas, who has made four Pro Bowls and caught 62 touchdown passes during his nine-year career, said he was looking forward to playing with the Patriots and sharing the field with quarterback Tom Brady. 

“I’ve got a chance to play with arguably, from the last seven years on, the best team in football,” Thomas said. “And to play with another future Hall of Famer (in Brady). So I’m blessed and excited about it.”

Thomas began 2018 with the Broncos before he was sent to the Texans in late October. Thomas, however, tore his Achilles after just seven games with Houston and missed the rest of the season. 

The Texans then released Thomas, with a failed physical designation, in mid-February. 

“I still can go,” Thomas said. “I still can go. (Just have to) knock (a) little rust off and keep building the days.”

The Patriots activated Thomas from the physically unable to perform list last week. 

“We’ll just take it day by day,” New England coach Bill Belichick told reporters Monday. “Yeah, certainly (Thomas has) done some impressive things, but it’s stringing them together. It’s being able to do them on a consistent basis and come back and do it again. Really that’s pretty much everybody’s situation, he just entered into it a little bit later.”

The Patriots have one preseason game remaining before they face the Steelers in Week 1 action Sept. 8.